These healthy and easy caramelized bananas are the perfect topping for either pancake, porridge, or even just with some nut butter and toasted flaked almonds on top.
Believe it or not, the first time I ate fried banana was with a savory meal and not a sweet one. It might seem strange but I actually love it with some black beans and rice!
This might seem like a very simple thing to do and it actually is, but wiht the below steps, you will either start caramelizing banana or improve your caramelization game!
What do you need to make caramelized bananas?
- Banana - for the banana, I personally prefer the ones not too ripe and not too green so yellow without spots so that they don't fall apart.
- Coconut oil and maple syrup - the fat from the coconut oil and sugar from the maple syrup will ensure a perfect caramelization of the bananas.
How to make caramelized bananas?
Add, to a nonstick frying pan, a teaspoon of coconut oil, and a teaspoon of maple syrup. Slice a banana and, when the pan is hot, add the banana to the pan. Add, to the same pan, one tablespoon of flaked almonds.
Leave the banana to cook on medium heat for approximately 2 to 3 minutes. At this stage, turn it and if not brown yet, turn it back until it gets golden brown. Repeat the same on the opposite side.
What happens if I use rip bananas to make a banana caramel sauce?
The bananas will loose their shape and become mushy and that is why I prefer to use bananas that are not too ripe.
Can you make this oil-free?
Yes, you definitely can and, I have made it plenty of times but the truth is, if you want a decadent caramelized banana, that extra oil and maple syrup will make a difference.
Please, do feel free to try without oil to see how you like it as well!
What are caramelized bananas served with?
Caramelized banana can be served with so many things, such as:
- With a healthy porridge
- With fluffy chocolate chip pancakes
- By itself with some cinnamon and peanut butter
Can you freeze caramelized bananas?
As this is quite quick to make, I wouldn't make it in advance and would just make at the time you want to eat it at.
IF YOU TRY THESE EASY CARAMELIZED BANANAS RECIPE LET ME KNOW!
Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nutsandpumpkin . I absolutely love seeing and sharing your recreations!
Finally, are you on Pinterest? Why not save this photo below to your boards so you can come back and try it another time!
Looking for more sweet toppings for either porridge or pancakes? Try these ones next!
- Frying pan
- 1 banana sliced
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Add, to a nonstick frying pan, a teaspoon of coconut oil and a teaspoon of maple syrup. Slice a banana and, when the pan is hot, add the banana to the pan.
- Leave the banana to cook on medium heat for approximately 2 to 3 minutes. At this stage, turn it and if not brown yet, turn it back until it gets golden brown. Repeat the same on the opposite side.