Ready to find out how to make an ice cream that you can eat at any time of the day, and only requires 2 ingredients? Welcome, to my favorite summer homemade treat! A healthier version of normal ice cream and so delicious!
You might be reading the title and wondering, but what is banana ice cream?
Banana ice cream, or typically called “nicecream” is a vegan ice cream made with a base of bananas that give it, its creamy texture!
Ingredients for the chocolate banana ice cream
Ripe bananas – the ripe bananas give the creaminess to this ice cream. I won’t lie, it is not like store bought ice cream but, it is so delicious! And only wholesome ingredients.
Cacao powder – the cacao powder is what makes this ice cream taste like chocolate and it turns out soooo goooood!
Maple syrup (optional) – if the cacao powder you are using is too bitter, you can always add some maple syrup to this recipe!
How to make chocolate banana ice cream
Freezing the bananas
The first and most crucial step of making your banana ice cream.
It might seem simple and it actually is, but, there are some important topics to point out:
How ripe should the bananas be?
Use bananas that have some brown spots but are not completely brown or starting to become a bit liquid (it has happened to me!)
Are your bananas not ripe but you really can’t wait to try this?
To fasten up the ripening process, put the bananas in a closed bag and, if still, it is not quick enough, you can even put it in the direct sunlight. Just be careful so it doesn’t ripen too much!
Freezing the bananas
- Start by peeling the bananas as it is better than freezing them without peeling them. If you freeze them without peeling, you would have to peel them frozen? Can you imagine how hard that would be??
- Slice the bananas and freeze them in a plate or baking tray so that they don’t stick together as they would in an airtight container – this will make the food processor’s job much easier!
- Freeze the sliced bananas for at least 2 hours
Important note – don’t try puréeing bananas and then freezing them because you would be left with starchy, gooey icicles.
Now that you have your frozen banana slices, how can you make this ice cream?
Add the frozen banana to a food processor. This will be really noisy because it is as if your food processor is processing chunks of ice!
Initially you will see just some chunks but, TRUST ME, it will become so CREAMY!
So, how do you know it is done? When the last bit of banana chunk has disappeared, blend for just 30 more seconds.
If your food processor is having difficulties
Add 1 tablespoon of plant based milk at a time when blending the bananas.
Now that the bananas are blended, add 2 tablespoons of cacao powder and blend again.
If it is too bitter for you, add some maple syrup (I would recommend 1 teaspoon at a time). This will really depend on the cacao powder you have at home. I have one that is really sweet but I know there are some really bitter ones out there!
And it is done!
You can eat it immediately but it will be quite soft. You can freeze it in an airtight container until solid (usually 2 to 3 hours). If too firm, let it outside of the freezer until you can scoop it, before eating.
How long does banana ice cream last
You can freeze this for up to 3 months but if you are like me, this will last up to 2 weeks (1 even maybe??)
I know there is a possibility, your favorite ice cream is not chocolate! If it is not, change things up a bit!
- Add fruit to the frozen bananas instead of cacao powder – If you opt for this option, instead of adding the fruit after the bananas are blended, add it at the same time you add the bananas
- Add peanut butter and make it extra fancy with some swirls – start by blending the bananas and then put it in a baking dish and add some peanut butter
Are you loving chocolate banana ice cream but want to add some toppings to make it extra indulgent?
If you are, welcome to the club! I am exactly the same and am always looking for new ways to change things up a bit.
- Something crunchy – add some homemade granola.
- Something nutty – to be honest, I have a tiny bit of an addiction for salty peanuts and I love to eat them with some dark chocolate and that is also why I love to pair them with this ice cream! I also love covering the ice cream with some homemade nut butter
- Something fruity – you can pair this ice cream with some summery fruits such as strawberries, blueberries, watermelon… the sky is the limit!
Are you looking for some more indulgent and healthy recipes? Try these ones out next
Chocolate Banana Ice Cream
- Food processor
- 2 bananas
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- maple syrup optional
Freezing the bananas
- Once you have bananas with some brown spots that are not too ripe, peel them and slice them. Put them on a plate or baking tray so that they don’t stick together like they would in an air tight container. Freeze for at least 2 hours
Blending the frozen bananas
- Add the frozen bananas to a food processor and blend until the last bit of banana chunk has disappeared and than blend for an extra 30 seconds
- Add the cacao powder and, if too bitter, add maple syrup to taste.
- You can eat it immediately but it will be quite soft. You can freeze it in an airtight container until solid (usually 2 to 3 hours). If too firm, let it outside of the freezer until you can scoop it, before eating.
I have started by learning the 5 mistakes to avoid when doing banana ice cream from thekitchn