If you are like me and can't have another boring salad, then this grilled tofu and nectarine curried couscous salad is the right one for you! It is a sweet salad from the grilled nectarine, it has protein and a curried flavor from the tofu and it is just packed with deliciousness!
So, first of all, what makes a couscous salad?
Even though the traditional couscous salad has more typical morrocan flavors, you can add any ingredients you like to it and just make amazing combos, like this grilled tofu and nectarine couscous salad!
So what do you need to make this curried couscous salad?
- Tofu - the marinated tofu is a perfect addition to this salad, bringing out a curry flavor that goes perfectly with the sweet grilled nectarines
- Nectarines - a sweet pairing for this salad but, let me tell you, if you don't like fruit in salads, you can totally remove this!
- Couscous - the base of this salad! It is a perfect grain for the Summer
- Red onion - adds a spicy touch to this couscous summer salad
- Coriander - a perfect herb to go with the curry flavor
What about the spices?
- Smoked paprika
- Curry powder
How to make this curried couscous salad?
In a nutshell, you just need to get extrafirm tofu, press it, marinate it and then grill the tofu and nectarines and mix it with all the remaining ingredients.
How to press tofu?
Start by chopping the tofu into slices and press it. All you need to do is to find some weight to put over the tofu. This is an important step so that the tofu loses the water it has and becomes less spongy when you cook it!
How to marinate tofu?
Now, just cover the tofu with the mentioned spices. Leave for at least 30 minutes but if you are in a hurry, at least 10 minutes.
In the meantime, chop the nectarine and brush it with a little bit of olive oil.
Grill the nectarine and tofu on the grilling pan, on medium heat for 5 minutes in each side
How to cook couscous?
While you grill, add the couscous to a bowl with a pinch of salt and black pepper and cover it with boiling water and leave for 3 minutes.
Assembling the couscous summer salad
Start by adding the couscous to a bowl
Add the grilled tofu, grilled nectarine, red onion, chopped coriander and lime juice and mix well!
Recipe notes and tips
Nectarine - as mentioned above, if you are not a fan of fruit in salads, just omit the nectarine and it will still be super delicious!
Tofu - I completely advise pressing the tofu so that it will be crispier after grilling
Herbs - If you don't have fresh coriander, mint also works really well in this salad
Red onion - if you don't have it, you can try adding some rocket as it also gives some spicy flavor to the salad
IF YOU TRY THIS CURRIED COUSCOUS SALAD RECIPE LET ME KNOW!
Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nutsandpumpkin . I absolutely love seeing and sharing your recreations!
Finally, are you on Pinterest? Why not save this photo below to your boards so you can come back and try it another time!
Are you looking for more Summer meals? Try these ones next!
Curried Couscous Salad
- 300 gram couscous
- 500 gram tofu extra firm
- 1 red onion
- 2 nectarines
- 10 gram coriander fresh
- ½ lime
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp curry
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Start by slicing the tofu into even slices. Press the tofu. You can use a chopping board on top and cover it with something heavy like some books. Press for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix the spices in a small bowl.
- Cover the tofu with the spice mixture and spread well. Leave for 10 minutes.
- While the tofu is marinating, add the couscous to a bowl and cover it with boiling water.
Grilling the nectarines and tofu
- Chop the nectarines and heat a grilling pan on high heat on the stove. Brush the nectarines with olive oil and place it on a grilling pan. If your grilling pan is big enough, add both the chopped nectarines and the tofu at the same time.
- Grill for 5 minutes on one side and 5 minutes on the other side.
Assembling the salad
- Add the couscous to a bowl, add the tofu and nectarine. Add the chopped red onion and a drizzle of lime juice along with the chopped coriander.