This easy one-pot Portuguese tomato rice is one of my favorite Portuguese recipes! You can feel the tomato sauce around the rice and then a freshness from the chopped fresh coriander.
What do you need to make this classic Portuguese tomato rice?
- Olive oil - if you prefer to make this oil-free just ensure you are using a nonstick pan
- Aromatics - for this recipe, we are keeping it simple with the spices and just using onion, garlic, tomato paste. a bay leaf and dried coriander.
- Long rice - you can use any rice you prefer but my favorite is the long rice. Long rice or even basmati rice is also perfect to make lemon cilantro rice or even a delicious vegan fried rice!
How to make it
- Heat olive oil in a pan on medium heat. When the olive oil is hot, add the chopped onion and fry for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the minced garlic cloves and fry for 1 minute or until golden. Add the tomato paste and chopped red bell pepper and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, bay leaf, rice and fry for 2 minutes. Add the water. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low heat and cook for 20 minutes.
This holds up in the fridge up to 3 to 4 days.
I have never tried freezing this rice but it should be fine to freeze it in an airtight container after cooling down.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
No. I add them as an optional topping but the recipe is absolutely delicious without it!
IF YOU TRY THIS EASY ONE-POT PORTUGUESE TOMATO RICE RECIPE LET ME KNOW!
Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nutsandpumpkin . I absolutely love seeing and sharing your recreations! Also, follow along on Facebook and Pinterest for the latest recipe updates!
Finally, are you on Pinterest? Why not save this photo below to your boards so you can come back and try it another time!
Looking for more side dishes recipes? Try these ones next!
Easy One-Pot Portuguese Tomato Rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion (120 g)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 red bell pepper chopped finely
- 2 tomatoes chopped finely (220 g)
- 150 gram rice
- 300 mL water
- pinch of salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 2 tsp dried coriander
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander optional
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to a pan and turn the stove to medium heat. When the olive oil is hot, add the chopped onion and fry for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic cloves and fry for 1 minute or until golden.
- Add the tomato paste and chopped red bell pepper and fry for 1 minute. Add the chopped tomatoes, bay leaf, rice and fry for 2 minutes. Add the water, pinch of salt and pinch of black pepper. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low heat and cook for 20 minutes. When done, add the chopped fresh coriander (optional) and stir well.