Loaded potato salad is such an easy and delicious salad for the warm days! It is delicious both warm and cold and it is also packed with protein.
Why are you going to love this loaded potato salad?
Easy - all you have to do is boil the potatoes and carrots and fry the canned lentils in some garlic and add in the raw vegetables!
Perfect for meal prep - if you cook the amount mentioned in this recipe, you should have enough for 4 portions. So you can make it in advance and take it with you anywhere.
High protein - both the lentils and the dressing are high in protein so, they are perfect for a post-workout meal or even if you are looking for a high protein meal!
Oil-free - this salad dressing is packed with flavour, SO CREAMY and still oil-free
Ingredients for the loaded potato salad
- Potatoes - I used white potatoes for this recipe. I have tried this recipe with several different types of potatoes and it always works because the secret is to keep an eye out to check when they are cooked as some will take longer than others and you don't want to make mashed potatoes.
- Carrots - balance perfectly the flavor of this meal! You can add them both raw or cooked.
- Cucumber and Bell pepper - it gives such a lovely crunch to this recipe!
- Lentils and Garlic - the protein part along with the tahini dressing and it works so well! The garlicky strong flavor from the fried garlic along with the lentils is delicious!
- Tahini dressing - an oil-free dressing that takes this salad to the next level making it so creamy
How to make this loaded potato salad?
Before boiling the potatoes and the carrots
Chop them into evenly into bite-sized pieces.
To peel or not to peel?
I usually remove the skins if it is not organic potatoes or carrots but, if it is, I will just leave them on. It gives extra texture and flavor to the salad!
Boiling the potatoes and carrots
Cook both the potatoes and carrots in boiling water until tender, usually about 10 minutes. You should remove the potatoes and carrots from the water once they are tender enough to cut through easily, drain them and let them sit in a strainer for a bit to let the steam evaporate excess moisture.
While the potatoes and carrots are cooling down
On the same pan, add 2 smashed garlic cloves and fry with a drizzle of olive oil, on medium heat.
Once the garlic cloves are golden brown (should take around 2 minutes), add the cooked or canned lentils and fry for 3 minutes so it absorbs all the flavor!
Leave everything to cool down, unless you prefer to have it warm.
While everything is cooling down, chop the cucumber, bell pepper and red onion into small-sized pieces.
Now, just mix everything and top it with your favourite dressing!
Can you add any other ingredients?
With a potato salad, the options are really endless so if you have leftover veggies that you need to use, you can always see how you like it with this salad!
Some ingredients that you could also add to this salad, that would go really well, would be:
- Chickpeas or black beans instead of lentils
- Toasted nuts and seed for some extra protein
- Green onions
Personally, my favorite toppings are:
What goes well with loaded potato salad?
Are you wondering, what to eat this with, or that you would love to pair this with something else?
Well if you are, and you really want to eat it along with something else, my recommendation is to eat it with some homemade easy falafel!
How long does loaded potato salad last in the fridge
Potato salad lasts about 3 days in the fridge.
I would not freeze it but you can always freeze the lentils if you do some extra.
IF YOU TRY THIS LOADED POTATO SALAD LET ME KNOW!
Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nutsandpumpkin . I absolutely love seeing and sharing your recreations!
Finally, are you on Pinterest? Why not save this photo below to your boards so you can come back and try it another time!
Wanting some more fresh meals for the Summer? Try these ones next
Loaded Potato Salad
- 500 gram white potato
- 4 carrots 4 small or 2 large
- 200 gram cucumber
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 400 gram canned lentils green or brown
- Place the chopped potatoes and chopped carrots into a large pot and cover with boiling water and add salt. Cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Once the potatoes and carrots are fork tender, drain the potatoes and carrots and leave them to cool down.
- Add, to the cooled down potatoes and carrots, chopped red onion, cucumber and red bell pepper.
- To the pan where you cooked the potatoes and carrots, add a drizzle of olive oil, and 2 chopped garlic cloves. Cook for 2 minutes or until the garlic is golden brown.
- Add the lentils and fry for 3 minutes on medium heat.
Wondering what to make next, this Summer? Try this ones out!