These vegan savoury muffins are the perfect on the go lunch, dinner or even snack, perfect for meal prep and even as a post-workout meal!
Before turning vegan, I would have both quiche and frittata pretty often and it never crossed my mind I could make it without eggs!
What is the secret you might wonder? Gram Flour!
That is right. When mixed with plant-based milk or even water, it acts as a perfect binder in the same way an egg would.
What is gram flour?
Gram flour is often called chickpea flour but in reality is a flour made from chana dal or split brown chickpeas.
What do you need to make these vegan savory muffins?
Gram Flour - This flour is the main ingredient of these muffins. It acts as an egg, and gives both fiber and protein to it!
Plant-based milk - the plant based milk with the gram flour will turn this into a binder to make these muffins
Onion, tomato, and red bell pepper - these are one of my favorite vegetables for these muffins but the beauty of this is that you can just use whatever vegetables you have at home!
Olive oil - the olive oil makes the texture perfect! Otherwise, it can be a little bit dry.
What about the spices?
You need some spices to make it super tasty but worry not, they are all staples ingredients!
The ones needed are:
- Smoked paprika
- Nutritional yeast - one of the most versatile ingredients. You could also use it to make a vegan quiche to get that super cheesy flavor!
- Dried basil
How to make these vegan savory muffins?
Start by preheating the oven to 180ºC.
Now let's make the muffin mix!
To a large mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients and stir well. Add, to the bowl, the soy milk 100 mL initially and mix well. When completely dissolved, add the remaining 100 mL.
Add, to the bowl, the remaining ingredients and stir till well combined. Do not over stir.
Adding to the muffin tray
If your muffin tray is not nonstick, brush with olive oil and a little bit of flor! I have added just olive oil and it didn't work on mine.
In the oven
Add the muffin tray to the oven once it is warm and cook for 30 minutes. They might seem undercooked but the thing is, they will still cook once you take them off and wait 10 minutes. And, if you wait for them to perfectly cooked in the oven, they will overcook afterward.
Let's talk replacements
- Gram flour - this flour is essential for these muffins. You should be able to get it in most supermarkets nowadays.
- Vegetables - These vegetables work really well but, the beauty of these muffins is that you can use whatever vegetables you want! Some suggestions:
- Red onion instead of white onion
- Spices - if you don't have smoked paprika, definitely try getting it but you can use normal paprika even though the flavor will change quite a bit
If you want something more filling, you could go for some portuguese tomato rice or even lemon cilantro rice on the side and, if you want even something more, I would add some pan fried potatoes and onions in there!
- Fridge - I have left these muffins in my fridge for up to 4 days and they held perfectly!
- Freezer - you can freeze these muffins as well! Just place in an airtight container and freeze it up!
IF YOU TRY THESE VEGAN SAVORY MUFFINS RECIPE LET ME KNOW!
Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nutsandpumpkin . I absolutely love seeing and sharing your recreations!
Finally, are you on Pinterest? Why not save this photo below to your boards so you can come back and try it another time!
Looking for more high protein vegan recipes? Try these ones next!
Vegan Savoury Muffins
- Muffin tray
- 150 grams gram flour
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 250 mL soy milk
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 white onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves grated
- 10 cherry tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients and stir well.
- Add, to the bowl, the soy milk 100 mL initially and mix well. When completely dissolved, add the remaining 100 mL.
- Add, to the bowl, the remaining ingredients and stir till well combined. Do not over stir.
- Grease the muffin trays if not nonstick. When well greased, add the muffin mixture to each muffin tin.
- Bake for 30 minutes and remove from oven. Let them cool for 10 minutes before removing from the tins.