This vegan sundried tomato pesto is such a versatile and delicious vibrant healthy pesto! It takes a few minutes to make and is perfect as a party appetizer along with some sesame seed crackers, on salads, even like this avocado mango salad, to add to some pasta or to put in a sandwich, even with these easy black bean burgers.
Sundried tomatoes and sundried tomato oil - instead of using olive oil, you can take advantage of that super tasty oil from the sundried tomatoes jar to make this pesto extra flavorful!
Garlic - the garlic is not too overpowering but still is necessary to make this super delicious!
Basil - this is the perfect aromatic herb to pair with any kind of tomatoes!
Nutritional yeast - the typical pesto, sometimes has parmesan cheese on it, and using nutritional yeast makes it a bit cheesy but not too much! It is just the perfect ingredient to balance all the remaining ingredients.
Cashews - instead of pine nuts (EXPENSIVE!) we are using cashews. It is really a small amount but makes such a difference in the texture of this pesto.
The complete list of ingredients is located in the recipe card below.
Step by step instructions
Start by soaking your cashews in hot water for 10 minutes if the food processor is not strong enough. If it is, just skip this step.
Add all the ingredients to the food processor and blend until smooth.
Tips and variations
Oil - if you are oil-free, you could try this pesto with simply water. It should work but it will be less creamy and decadent, I have to say!
Portions - If you are making this for a picnic with a lot of people or even for a party or a BBQ, you could double the recipe to make more servings!
Basil - I have used the basil leaves and stems and the flavor was incredible! This is to say, you don't need to just use the basil leaves.
Vegan pesto is absolutely delicious with so many different meals depending on the occasion or even on what you are feeling like having it with on the day!
Sandwiches - you could have this pesto with some roasted vegetables and some hummus! I have had this multiple times and it never stops amazing me on how delicious it is!
Appetizers - this is perfect combined with sesame seed crackers or you could make a plate of appetizers with these crackers, this pesto, some vegan garlic bread, and some hummus! Super versatile and super delicious!
Salads - this pesto is perfect for any salad if you ask me! I love having it on this vegan pesto pasta salad recipe or on some loaded potato salad.
Winter meals - this pesto is delicious with smashed potatoes or even mashed potatoes! It would also pair perfectly with some roasted or simply boiled gnocchi!
How to store it
This keeps well on the fridge, in a well sealed jar or airtight container for up to a week.
Frequently asked questions
You can make so many things with sun dried tomatoes! You could make this pesto, or you could simply chop them finely and add them to salads or pasta meals or you could even add them to a burger dough as they will give it so much flavor!
Sun dried tomato pesto is a pesto with blended sun dried tomatoes as the main ingredient! It has a more intense flavor that is absolutely delicious!
Absolutely! I know I have! They are really intense but so delicious.
If you try this recipe let me know!
Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nutsandpumpkin . I absolutely love seeing and sharing your recreations! Also, follow along on Facebook and Pinterest for the latest recipe updates!
Finally, are you on Pinterest? Why not save this photo below to your boards so you can come back and try it another time!
Watch a video on how to make it!
Try these appetizers next!
Vegan sundried tomato pesto
- Food processor
- 70 gram sundried tomatoes
- 20 ml sundried tomato oil
- 50 ml water
- 1 garlic clove medium, minced
- 15 gram fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 10 gram cashews
- If the blender you are using has a weak blade, soak the cashews in a bowl with some boiling water (I use a kettle to have boiling water quicker!)
- Add all the pesto ingredients to either a blender, a food processor or just a cup and use a hand blender to blend it all! Blend until smooth or until the desired consistency!
- BBQ or any parties - black bean burgers, or even some sesame seed crackers as an appetizer.
- Sandwiches - add it along with some roasted vegetables and some hummus!
- Appetizers - you could make a plate of appetizers with these crackers, this pesto, some vegan garlic bread, and some hummus! Super versatile and super delicious!
- Winter meals - this pesto is delicious with smashed potatoes or even mashed potatoes! It would also pair perfectly with some roasted or simply boiled gnocchi!